Thursday, April 21, 2011

Watching Grown Men Cry

Earlier this week, I mentioned doing a countdown of top Vanderbilt meltdowns. We'll save that idea for another time, but turning in my order form today for NCAA Regional and Super Regional tickets got me thinking about a game that would have to be near the top of that list: Vanderbilt (baseball) vs. Michigan, 2007. On the positive side, I was in the bleachers the night--I think it was the Austin Peay game?--we first did the black and gold cheer, and that's one of my all-time best VU sports memories. Laugh all you want, but I literally had goose bumps when that started. And...that's the only positive I can take from Vanderbilt hosting the regional. I'll never forget everyone realizing that Price was coming in to pitch after starting earlier that weekend, and I'm guessing but pretty darn sure that was his first relief appearance of the season. I'll also never forget the way I felt when Alan Oaks, a pinch hitter for Michigan batting .188, hit the homer off of our star. Apparently, Oaks' parents were also in the stands that night--no disrespect to Alan, but I have to believe they were as surprised as the rest of us. After the game ended and we were all in complete shock, I FINALLY left the stadium and walked to my car. As I opened the door, I noticed the 60ish year old man sitting in the driver's seat of the car next to me was sobbing. If I were to see this occurrence any other day, I'd find it very strange to see a grown man almost uncontrollably crying in his car. However, on that Monday night it wasn't strange at all--in fact, I felt the exact same way. There's a name for the feeling--it's called being a Vanderbilt fan.

To end on a positive note, we found out yesterday that John, Festus, and Jeffrey are all returning next season! There will be more excitement (and expectations) for this team than any I've followed since 1998. I think this could finally be THE year for us! (And then that voice creeps in my head saying, this could also be the year that a #1 seed loses to a ....) Nope, I'm not going to say it. Come next March, I will not be crying uncontrollably in my car.

4 comments:

  1. ' love it! Especially the ending, ' .... To end on a positive note ...' You are a true Vandy fan - ever swimming towards the scintilla of hope bobbing in a sea of anguish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, how I remember that Michigan game. No one could believe the ending of that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there for that midnight BLACK/GOLD cheer. I think that's the only time I've ever thought that cheer worked. I got goosebumps too and LOVED that moment.

    Luckily I was at a bachelorette party for the home run off price. Oof.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately I was on my way to Europe that night and didn't hear what happened until days later. I think that helped dull the pain of the loss.

    ReplyDelete