Friday, May 20, 2011

Recruits, celebrities, and tombstones...

I'm embarrassed to admit that it has been a month since my last post, as I know you all have been waiting with baited breath. I've been busy, there hasn't been too much going on with VU athletics, and I still have no pictures to include in the blog.

But, I will share some thoughts from the past month:

1) Football recruiting--James Franklin, where in the world did we find you?! While I'm a huge pigskin fan, I don't religiously follow recruiting like some friends. However, after a fairly slow start--having just one commitment for quite a while--we have signed five more this week!! And these are talented kids with multiple big-time program offers! Franklin tweeted recently about trying to get people to drink the VU kool-aid that he was selling. Give me a big glass please...

2) Earl Bennett's son--some of you may know that Earl is married and has a 13 month old son. He shared a picture of his son on Twitter the other day. I would post it here, but I'm unsure if I'm allowed to share a picture from someone's Twitter account. Part of my uncertainty is with the copyright issues (clearly, I have never taken a law course), but I'm also a little concerned that I may look like a huge stalker. You know, the kind of person who follows former Vanderbilt players on Twitter. Oh wait, that IS me. Haha. Back to the point--his son was wearing a Vanderbilt outfit and is ADORABLE. If Jay and Kristin hurry up and have a child soon, it could be Cutler to Bennett circa 2005 all over again.

3) Speaking of celebrity children, does anyone other than me remember being a Cubs fan as a kid because their games were all carried on WGN? If so, you'll remember Shawon Dunston who was a shortstop for Chicago for seven seasons. I guess I was a grammar dork even as a teenager, because it used to always bother me that his name was spelled Sha-won but pronounced Shawn. Anyway, his son, Shawon Jr, recently committed to Vanderbilt for baseball! I'll forgive his dad for the pronunciation of his name now that his son will be wearing black and gold (if he doesn't choose the pro route first). We'll soon have two former major-leaguers in the stands watching their sons/grandsons.

4) Vanderbilt baseball, what is going on? I have my regional and super regional tickets ordered, I have those dates cleared on my calendar, and I want to see baseball in person the first two weekends in June! I think we'll still be a national seed unless we lose the UGA series and lose early at Hoover, and hopefully neither of those things will happen. I just don't want this year's post-season experience to go the same way of the last regional I watched in person!

5) And... on a non-ahletic note, I was recently invited to attend a focus group for Vanderbilt alumni. The e-mail stated I received the invitation because I am an engaged and committed alum. Finally, someone has noticed, and I think I have found the words for my tombstone. Instead of loving mother and wife (in the future, hopefully), caring daughter, believer in God, etc, I may go with "engaged and committed Vanderbilt alum." (I'm only half joking.)

3 comments:

  1. .... hahaha! Love your blogs .... and on that tombstone, while I pray it is decades and decades away, a laser-cut picture in the marble of you throwing a water bottle after a heartbreaking loss would be a nice touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm late to the party but I love this post! I had no idea about Earl's progeny! Trone is a mega Cubs fan so we already knew about Shawon (I will always pronounce it the way it's spelled. seriously, people).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Yes, he has a son who is adorable--especially in Vanderbilt clothes! I'm waiting for him to grow up and be a football players! I actually thought about Trone when I wrote the cubs part and wondered if he was excited about Sha-won's commitment ;).

    ReplyDelete