Monday, April 11, 2011

Football 101 with me (and Coach Franklin)


As the blog craze becomes more and more popular, it seems that many of my friends are writing about one of two things: families or cooking. Well, I don't cook much and when I do, it's certainly not worthy of any recognition in the blogosphere. As for family, I have a great one, but since I don't have children or a husband (or even a boyfriend--maybe this blog will help with that!), I doubt anyone wants to hear about my daily phone calls with my mother one state over. So, I've decided to combine two things I enjoy--writing and Vanderbilt sports--and share my thoughts with all of you. By enjoy, I mean writing--I absolutely love and am obsessed with Vanderbilt sports. And by all, I may only mean my family and a few close friends who read to show their support, but that's okay too.

Since my blog is new, I decided post number one should also be about a new event--one I attended last Saturday. Someone at Vanderbilt (James Franklin, I think) had the great idea to FINALLY offer a women's football clinic! For anyone who even remotely knows me, you know that I live for Vanderbilt football, so even with some recent health issues, there was no way I was missing this. (I did have to sit out the drill portion, which was sad, because I wanted to impress the new quarterback coach with my throwing arm.) I won't divulge some of the info that was shared so that this clinic seems even more mysterious to the men out there, but I will say that I'm pretty damn excited for the season! As much I offer my unwavering support to VU athletics, I am anything but the eternal optimist, and I went into the Franklin hire feeling pretty ambivalent. However, I love his enthusiam, and I think we have the right man for the job. I still want to see results on the field before I proclaim that he will be our savior, but I think he gets what playing at Vanderbilt is all about. He certainly could have sold me on his pitch of the combination of big-time football with an elite academic experience, all in a large but friendly Southern city. With the very short amount of time he had, I think I understand why he did so well with recruiting this winter--he brings an energy to the program that was previously lacking. To appeal to my sometimes-elitist mentality when it comes to Vanderbilt (yep, I'll admit it), I was happy to learn that the new staff holds three degrees from Ivy League institutions as well. I was particularly impressed with Bob Shoop, the new co-Defensive Coordinator. A Yale graduate, he was polished and articulate but also had a TON of passion! I don't know how much 17 year olds care about the words a coach uses or the way he presents himself, but I do and I'm pretty sure some parents of those 17 year olds do too.

If anyone is still reading at this point (I've probably lost everyone but my mom and dad), here are some highlights of the day:
1) Tour of the locker room and more importantly, the chance to hold a football helmet for the first time. My two thoughts? Wow, they're heavy and I would not trust that amount of padding between my head and the 300 lb player throwing me to the ground! (It's important to report that no half-naked players were included in the tour, but that would have brought my enjoyment of the day to a whole new level.)

2) My first-ever chance to watch game film and actually concentrate on one player at a time. Watching live, I certainly can't focus on all 22 men at once, and it gave me a new perspective to see things frame by frame. I mean, who really watches the OL and DL closely at a game?

3) The fact that there 100-150 other women out there who care enough about VU football to come to the clinic! Sure, some weren't the most knowledgeable football fans--I mean, who does not know what redshirting means?! I wanted to show off and explain the definition of greyshirting to one up everyone--but they gave up their Saturday to be there. It's just like all I ask for the actual games--show up, wear black and gold, and cheer, whether or not you can name one player on the field or know the first thing about being a student at Vanderbilt! For the record, some women seemed to know a lot!

4) The coaches seem very family-oriented. There were kids running around, babies that didn't even scream at the sound of a loud whistle, and every coach talked proudly about his children. Several even mentioned that their kids are why they are out here doing this. I'm a sucker for the sentimental aspect of things, and the OC and DCs pics of their kids on the slideshows tugged at my heart a little.

Not so impressed with:
1) The training table (i.e. the athletic cafeteria). I think it used to be called the Hendrix (?) Room but it doesn't seem to have a name now. I know, Magic is famous and has been voted the number 1 athletic chef in the country, and I don't mean to take anything away from him. However, I felt like I was at Rand circa 1998. I will say that the chicken was not pink and there was no mystery meat in any of the casseroles, but I was just not that impressed.

2) The fact that I didn't win a door prize! Since the only people (or should I say person?) who could possibly still be reading at this point know me extremely well, you also know my competitive nature. I knew the answer to every question except one, but I just didn't get my hand up fast enough. I actually had the chance to answer one and gave the wrong answer, and I silently berated myself for about an hour after this. It's not that I had to have the $25 Ruth's Chris gift card (though I like their petite filet), but I wanted the chance to show the coaches my vast array of Vanderbilt football knowledge. Sadly, there was no competition to match current and former players names and jersey numbers. I would have won that one in a heartbeat! *And the question I didn't know? Name the 5 years Vanderbilt has played in a bowl game? 5, you're wondering? Yep, Franklin was being extremely confident and threw in 2011. Let's back up and look at the 4 proven years, and I didn't know the first two. Shame on me. Of course, they did both occur before my birth, but that's not a good excuse.

Lastly, Coach Franklin mentioned that he had received his first hate mail from Vanderbilt fans (he may have gotten some from Maryland fans on his way out the door?) regarding this clinic and was called sexist and misogynistic. The women's studies minor and feminist in me has to chime in here. I don't believe it's sexist in any possible way to offer women the chance to come together as a group of Vanderbilt fans and learn more about football. It wasn't taught in a way that implied that someone needed to explain what touchdown means to all of us, and considering that we haven't had a chance to play or coach or really be involved in football in a meaningful way, I was all for it. And yes, I know that if I could have kicked a 50 yard field goal in high school, I probably could have played with the boys, but let's be honest--every time I try to kick or punt a football, it really hurts my foot!

10 comments:

  1. Yay looks who's blogging now! I hope you teach me lots through your blog since I have ZERO knowledge of Vandy football.

    P.S. I never win door prizes so I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading!! You did win a door prize at the State/Auburn game in September! I think it was a Miss State history book or something. I will teach you anything you want to know (that I know, ha) about VU football! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe me Kelsey, she can teach you anything you want to know about Vandy football. That has been our dinner conversation now for 13 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea- a football clinic for women, genius! I read the entire post and I don't care one bit about Vanderbilt football (Texas football, on the other hand...). I did, however, learn more about you, which I appreciate. Welcome to the wide world of blogging! (Oh, and as you know, I don't blog about my family- no kids here, either- or cooking- though I do cook. Love this idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this blog and loved the clinic Saturday as well! Thanks for your comments (and for entering the blog world). I'm bookmarking your blog!! Go Dores!!
    Sarah Creekmore Woodall

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great, and I'm looking forward to your next post! So disappointing about the food, though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay you are officially published. I think it rocks and I am glad to learn about your day at the VU ladies clinic. I must say I am a bit disappointed that you did not win a prize but oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read every word! I'm so sad I missed this. I would have looooooooved to go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for reading!! I really thought it would only be blood relatives once it got to the end--my writing style is anything but concise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool. I was wondering what the women's football clinic was about. Sounds like a fun experience!! Love your pic with James! :). Go Dores! Mikele

    ReplyDelete