Friday, June 10, 2011

A low stress weekend of VU athletics...can you believe it?!

On the day of the first-ever Super Regional hosted by Vanderbilt, some thoughts to share:

1) I can only hope it goes the same way as the regional last weekend. A friend asked about my experience, and I told him it was the strangest thing. You know the sitting on the edge of your seat waiting for the fumble, missed field goal, bad call that changes the momentum, home run hit by the freshman walk-on, I could go on and on with examples from my 13 years of Vanderbilt fandom. The crazy thing is, the regional DIDN'T feel that way--not for a second. There was no sudden gust of win that stopped the ball dead in the air (Arkansas), no travel that wasn't called (Georgetown), no roughing the punter penalty (UT). Instead, the whole weekend just felt calm and as though Vanderbilt was actually going to win. Forget blood pressure medicine--give me a weekend like that every time I step in Memorial, Dudley, or Hawkins Field, and it would work even better to reverse the cumulative effect of being a Vanderbilt fan on my life expectancy.

2) We set the SEC record for the most baseball players drafted. You know you've got a good thing going when several players were drafted whose number I don't even know. Shame on me, I guess. I need to get a baseball roster ASAP. I thought only knowing the starters and some of the bullpen was enough--not even close.

I'll post more after this weekend...and hopefully share that it too lowered my stress level like last week. We shall see...if we are in such complete control and nothing happens to ruin it again, I may have to double check to make sure I'm on the right campus watching the correct team play.

GO DORES!

2 comments:

  1. I just feel that it is going to be a great weekend for Vanderbilt sports. I sure hope it is since I will be spending the weekend with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy having the occasional game where Vanderbilt fans can simply sit back and relax. We don't get many, and I make sure to milk them for what they're worth! My beloved Commodores are only one game from Omaha!

    ReplyDelete